[mythtv-users] checkboxes in Mythweb not sticking

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Tue Nov 8 11:56:56 EST 2005

On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 10:26:42AM -0800, Chris Petersen wrote:
> >The reason I originally turned off UseCanonicalName was because (1)
> >it forces a redirect to the FQDN and therefore requires
> >authenticating twice,
> huh?  read what the term does.  All it does is tell the server to send
> the servername info to the client as is stated in the config file,
> rather than the one the browser sends in the virtual host request.

Before you can get that reply you have to authenticate (assuming you
have a .htaccess rule blocking anonymous access to your mythweb
installation, which is a REALLY good idea when your server is exposed
to the rest of the planet).  After authenticating, the server sends
back the canonical name.  The browser tosses the old credentials
because they don't match the new hostname and you have to authenticate
again.  Only after entering the password twice do you get to the actual
php scripts.  With UseCanonicalName off, the server replies using
whatever server name the client specified and the second login is not
required.  The solution *is* simple -- always use the lengthy public
URL rather than the local hostname.  The only time it's really
inconvenient is when I'm using lynx, since it doesn't have bookmarks
and doesn't save passwords.

> >and (2) it means everything going to the server has to pass through
> >the router twice.
> again, huh?

I do not alias my FQDN in /etc/hosts because I have a dynamic IP
address and want to know that the dynamic DNS is resolving correctly.
After http://localhost/mythweb gets redirected to
http://my.long.url/mythweb/status.php, all further access to the server
is via the gateway's external IP address.  My server is not the
gateway, so every packet has to traverse the lan to the gateway, where
it is then forwarded back to the myth server.  It's not a big deal for
web pages, but a waste of bandwidth if I'm streaming multimedia files
from the server to a machine on the local subnet.