[mythtv-users] fanless Epia, Mediamvp or network dvd player for frontend?

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Sun Nov 6 20:57:26 EST 2005

Andrew Wilson wrote:

>MediaMVP - front runner for me. Cheapest, smallest, already working
>with myth, active community, but no Scart or Divx, reports of aspect
>ratio problems.

Just started playing with mine, and it watches recorded programs well,
so far. Live TV is, well, almost non-existent, and you can't watch DVD's
or other media. Didn't notice any aspect ratio problems.

>Xbox - From previous discussions, it is probably the best for many
>folks - myth compatible s/w, big hacker community, best looking app.
>Oh and it also plays games :-)
>But not for me - has a fan, is quite big, too expensive.

The fan is barely noticeable, it's smaller than all of my other media
devices, and it runs a full Myth client. You should be able to get used
ones very cheap soon, with the new Xbox 360 coming out in a few weeks.
You could probably quite easily re-package this in another box, but I
haven't looked into that.

My .02

Tom