[mythtv-users] Re: LVM and a new hard drive

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 19:11:11 EST 2005

I highly recommend you read a couple of recent threads on HDDs before
you make any purchases -- one is "A warning on Samsumg HDDs", the
other is "Settling the HD argument". I posted the original message
after my brand new Samsung drive failed after 419 hours (19 days).

Anyway, there is a lot of great information in those threads on HDD
maintennance and troubleshooting.

I know a lot of folks here use LVM but you might want to reconsider
it. For me, one of ther biggest problems is that if one of the drives
fails in an LVM, you stand a pretty good chance of losing everything
in the volume.

In my setup, I have a 20 GB drive for the OS, Myth application and
live buffer, and two Maxtors (200 GB and 250 GB) for storage. One of
the volumes is for recordings and music, the other is for transcoded
programs and films. I actually have films on both volumes but symlinks
work when it comes to populating the database and launching playback
from within Myth.

Seeing a brand new drive fail has certainly caused me to rethink using
LVM. As it is now, if one of my storage drives fails, I lose
everything on that drive (most of which is backed up on DVD-R. Small
consolation, but I'd rather lose half than everything, and I'd rather
have to restore 20 DVD-Rs of data rather than 40.