[mythtv-users] Slightly OT - Hollywood after the Analog

Ben Dash ben_dash at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 2 14:45:15 EST 2005

--- tgate wrote:

> On Nov 2, 2005, at 9:24 AM,
> mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
>
> > As long as there are legitimate uses for
> audio/video capture devices
> > (and there are plenty), I don't think it's
> possible to ban the devices
> > because they could be used for illegal purposes.
> That doesn't mean
> > that our friends in Hollywood won't try, but I'm
> pretty sure it's not
> > going anywhere.
> Just as blogging has applied pressure to corporate
> news sources for
> more thorough reporting, I think a form of video
> blogging from within
> mythtv can provide a way for artists and individuals
> to report on
> events in their community that the mainstream media
> would never
> cover.  There is no way for me to get a story onto
> CNN, MSNBC, or FOX
> news but in a matter of moments I can become a
> broadcaster from my
> own home as long as the rights are protected and we
> prevent the
> legislation of hardware DRM.  We need to keep the
> communication
> technology financially and practically within our
> reach so we aren't
> left with a system that only allows for us to
> receive media and
> messages sanctioned by government or corporations.
> --And so ends my rant.
> But I would like to know peoples' thoughts on
> providing myth with a
> video-blog type of interface where "LEGAL" streams
> can be browsed and
> published.

I'm all for fully legal torrent TV.  I think it'll be
the way of the future and change the entire video
advertising landscape.  Shows will be produced
specifically for sharing with no DRM.  Adverts will be
an embedded integral part of the show.  Imagine "The
Price is Right" they already have done something
similar.  A show like that would benefit from sharing
without DRM sicen they would make money from Ads which
could no be skipped or removed.

Some form of ingenious, subliminal, product placement
is the solution to commercial skipping and media
sharing.  Once the industry implements this they may
take advantage of free Torrent distribution through
RSS/Atom syndication and eliminate their need for
costly, and annoying, DRM.

To implement this in MythTV would be a problem since
people would want to share legacy ad mode media.
Media which requires DRM to be profitable since the
ads may be easilly removed.  Once media becomes
available which has this next generation of embedded
product placement advertising then the time would be
ideal to implement a torrent syndication client and
server in mythtv.  To do so before would be tempting
legal trouble.

Unfortunately this is a
which-came-first-the-chicken-or-the-egg problem...

|Ben Dash                                           |
|Ask free questions - http://bensqanda.blogspot.com |
|My Blog -    http://bensdailythoughts.blogspot.com |
|Info -  http://bensinformationstation.blogspot.com |
|Workouts -        http://bensworkouts.blogspot.com |