[mythtv-users] Myxer theme available

Fedor Pikus fpikus at gmail.com
Tue May 31 17:52:19 UTC 2005

On 5/31/05, Dave Hofstra <dhofstra at gmail.com> wrote:
> So we are clear, the original poster only did not know about the option for
> Menu Theme in Appearances --> Setup. There are two choices in that menu,
> "Default" and "Classic".  The original poster really only wanted to know how
> to set it to "Classic" from within Mythtv.  Editing the xml files is
> certainly dangerous, and probably best done within a spare copy of the
> theme's original folder.

Oh, I would love to be able to edit XML files as well, I actually
started down that path (I generated patch files so I could reapply
changes after an upgrade) but I see that there are better ways now,
two were mentioned: a local copy in ~/.mythtv overrides the default,
and a subdirectory under /usr/share/mythtv/themes.

Could someone explain what the rules for these overrides are:

1) If I put a file in ~/.mythtv. what exactly is overriden? A file
with the same name under /usr/share/mythtv (which is where most menu
XML files live)? There are XML files in subdirectories of
/usr/share/mythtv as well, including themes. How do I override those,
by replicating subdirectory structure?

2) If I create subdirectory /usr/share/mythtv/themes/MyMenus, how does
Myth distinguish between themes and menu themes? I don't recall seeing
"Myxer" as a menu theme, may be I just haven't scrolled far enough
though. And, same question as above, if I have Myxer theme and MyMenus
menu theme, how does MyMenus override XML files which are not in
/usr/share/mythtv but in its subdirectories?

Thanks,

Fedor G Pikus (fpikus at gmail.com)
http://www.pikus.net
http://wild-light.com