[mythtv-users] Hauppauge WINTV-PVR-500 for $127 shipped on Amazon

Karsten Jeppesen karsten at jeppesens.com
Thu May 26 01:14:14 UTC 2005

>>others have
>>

>>>>>>only gotten static from it.

Just to throw another one in here:
I just bought a Hauppauge 401 for trying this stuff out and it worked,
but sound wasn't that good. But since I only paid $20 on ebay then.....
Anyway...
I found my gogles and started to inspect the PCB and bingo. The layout
person hadn't used correct parameters for clearence. So the sound plug
mounting holes were too close to one of the sound leads.
This will not cause any problems in many cases but quite a number of
these boards must show the same problem as mine. That the sound lead is
short circuited. A small screwdriver solved the problem in 30 secs and
now the card works just fine.
My point is: this is a QA issue. This is something the layout package
should catch if correctly programmed. So this is a probable error
happening on newer boards as well. Again all depending of customer feed
back to Hauppauge.
So if you only got static - look at the connectors: do they work? Any
shorts? Try a composite signal from a VCR. Do you get a signal?
If you can get a signal from one media and not another. That says
something. Same if you have only one audio channel.

Karsten