[mythtv-users] OT: RG-6 crimping question

gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) glandix at lloydnet.org
Wed May 25 18:55:49 UTC 2005

Scott Alfter wrote:
> Around here, Cox uses splitters on which the back cover is soldered into place.
>  Even with good-quality cable, I was having some interference problems with TV
> and flaky cable-modem service.  One of their techs replaced my cheapie splitter
> (on which the lid is usually just glued in) with one of theirs, and the
> problems cleared right up.  I've tried finding similar splitters in the local
> stores, but have come up empty.

heh, around here [wichita/newton area in kansas] (and i truely mean no
offense to any cox employees that  may be on the list), cox is known for
the most pathetic cable runs that anyone has ever seen ... i worked for
Getronics doing sprint broadband installs and they were PICKY about
cable runs ... we used pictures of cox cable runs as examples of how not
to run cable!

on my house, they did a piss-poor job of running cable:
- they ran two cable (separate) runs around my house (sure, signal
quality-wise, no biggie, but cosmetically, it looks worse than the two
runs together would have)
- the cable was run TIGHT around the corner at nearly a 90deg angle (not
quite the "bends in the cable should be bigger than 10x the cable's
diameter)
- no "J" loops when entering the house (to make the water run off below
the entry point instead of possibly allowing water to follow the cable
inside the house)
- some entry points had bushings and silicone (proper), others had just
silicone .. others had just bushings ..
- for one connection, they spiced into an existing DirectTV run from the
previous owners .. it should have been removed and cox should have run
the entire run themselves and checked signal level
- on some places on the exterior of the house, the cable is just tucked
into nooks and crannies instead of being attached properly

needless to say, if you want a good job done, do it yourself, don't
trust cox techs to run your RG6 for you!!  i would have gotten fired 10x
over by Getronics if i ran those cable runs!

-g-