[mythtv-users] [OT] *Real* High-Def TV!

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Wed May 25 04:30:20 UTC 2005

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 10:54:03PM -0400, Dave wrote:
> I believe this statement is incorrect.
>
> 1080i and 1080p (the ones specified by the ATSC standard at least)
> require the same amount of bandwidth.
> 1080i is transmitted at 60 fields/sec, which is equivalent (as a field
> is half a frame) to 30 frames/sec
> 1080p is transmitted at 30 frames/sec
>
> 1080p/60 frames/sec is NOT an ATSC standard.

Computer monitors, and the dual dvi spec, however, are capable of 1080p 60fps,
and there's little reason that the 1080 line HDTVs they sell us should not
be capable of it.   If they were, we could feed them 1080i with bob, and
have 1080p 60fps resolution for our computer generated materials and other
specialized video.  We should encourage them to do it.