[mythtv-users] Attention "24" watchers: check your upcoming recordings

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Mon May 23 18:39:55 UTC 2005

On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 10:37:26AM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> Kyle Rose wrote:
>
> >>I'm curious as to why you used that as your profile rather than a plain
> >>"Record on any/this channel" with "Record new only?"  What you say might
> >>help improve the interface.
> >>

> >Just lazy.  I've probably been setting my recurring recordings up this
> >way all along.  Probably "record any time on this channel" suffices for
> >programs that don't have repeats (that I don't want) showing on the same
> >channel.
> >

> Remember, also, that you can "train" MythTV to ignore the repeats that
> you don't want.  Basically, just set the episodes to "Never Record" if
> you've seen them or don't care to see them.  It's very easy to do
> through MythWeb, and I've found that--especially for those shows that
> show multiple showings per day (i.e. Simpsons)--it really only takes a
> few weeks to train the system (and, with almost 2 weeks of guide data,
> you can take care a huge chunk at a time).  So, using anytime on all
> channels is possible (all my recording schedules are set that way).
>
> The big benefit of this approach is that you get a very complete
> database of what TV you've seen, and you don't miss any episodes (but
> you might get a few you've seen).

Yeah, though it would be nice if the system tagged that the choice was
put into oldrecordings because of a "don't record this" rather than a
"I recorded this and deleted it".

I've just built a "Suggestions" system for MythTV which trains on what
you like based on the oldrecorded table, so heavy use for "I don't want this"
will have a negative effect.