[mythtv-users] Jarod - Here's Your Chance (AKA - Distro Cage Match)

Michael Haan michael.haan at gmail.com
Fri May 20 01:48:42 UTC 2005

I know you're a big FC fan.  I've seen you quickly jump at the chance
to defend FC when someone suggests they can get Myth up-and-running
quickly on some other distro, say Gentoo.  I myself have been running
Gentoo/Myth for a little while now.  Initially, I was impressed with
the ease of install of Myth on Gentoo (I'd tried FC before Gentoo, but
there was some issue with AMD64 and apt-get).

Now, however, I am unhappy with Gentoo.  I have been trying for weeks
to upgrade my kernel so that I can use my new pchdtv3000 card - with
no luck.

So, here's the challenge (all distros welcome).  Get my
already-working-but-can't-move-forward machine working.  I want
something like apt-get or ebuilds for the majority of my needs (I
don't mind building cvs where it makes sense).  I want my pvr350 to
continue working, my pchdtv3000 to start.  I'd like to leverage my
cpu's 63-bit arch, where possible.

My specs:

AMD 64 3800+
EPox 9NDA+ mobo (http://www.anandtech.com/news/shownews.aspx?i=21754):
- nvidia CK8s GbE network card
- 4 SATA ports (3/4 are marvell, but an adaptec Sil is also installed if needed)
- nVidia 6600GT video card driving 1080i/720p HD
Turtle Beach Riviera Sound cArd (but I'd use the onboard sound if necessary)
3xMaxtor 250G SATA drives
PVR-350
pcHDTV300

I have tried SuSE 9.1/9.2, FC3 and Gentoo and only Gentoo has worked
(this system is working, I just can't seem to upgrade it!!!).

Again, all distros welecome - who's up to the task?