[mythtv-users] saa7115 messages in dmesg

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu May 19 17:29:10 UTC 2005

Mark Knecht wrote:

>On 5/19/05, Greg Estabrooks <greg at phaze.org> wrote:
>

>>>suffer from dmesg filling up with this set of messages?
>>>
>>>saa7115: decoder set picture bright=127 contrast=63 saturation=63 hue=0
>>>saa7115: decoder set picture bright=127 contrast=63 saturation=63 hue=0
>>>

>>Those are purely informational kernel logs which the ivtv driver logs anytime
>>the BCS or Hue info is set. ... They do not adversely affect your system
>>in anyway.
>>
>Thanks, but I'd still like to supress them if possible. They seem to
>fill up whatever buffer I'm looking at when I run dmesg and therefore
>stop me from seeing other messages that are of more interest. (Such as
>removable media messages that happened 1-2 days earlier.)

The dmesg program is meant to allow you to print or control the kernel's
ring buffer.  All the information that appears in the kernel ring buffer
should also be output to your log files (assuming your system logging is
set up properly) with the exception of some bootup messages (i.e. those
written before your system logger was started).

Therefore, use your system log file (i.e. /var/log/messages or
/var/log/everything or something) to find the "old" information.  If
you're concerned that you're losing bootup information, just have your
startup scripts dump the boot messages to a file just after the system
logger is started, i.e.

dmesg > /var/log/boot.messages

>Any ideas on how to turn them off?

options saa7115 debug=0