[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: Shuttle SV24 Savage Overscan using Chrontel 7006

Dave Marples dmarples at iee.org
Wed May 11 22:55:05 UTC 2005

Folks,

I'm having a pile of fun trying to get overscan running on TV-out on a
Shuttle SV24, and I'm _very_ close.

I can happily talk to the Chrontel 7006 chip using the i2c utilities
(see below if you want the tricks for that) but I _CANNOT_ get any
modes to give me correct vertical sync - does anyone have any
experience of this chip, before I throw the whole thing out of the
window?

As an example, if I want to change 640x480 from underscan to overscan I
_thought_ I just changed 3 registers thus;

0x00: Old = 0x60, New =0x61
0x14: Old = 0x04, New=0x0d
ox15: Old = 0x09, New=0x14

...but this gives me corrupt output.  Putting the old values back into
the registers restores the original picture, so I'm pretty sure it's
just something wrong with the register programming - can anyone help?

Regards

DAVE

(To get i2c access to the chrontel chip, modprobe i2c-prosavage and
mknod /dev/i2c-x, where x is the appropriate i2c bus.  You can then
access the Chrontel using the various i2cxxx utilities (e.g. i2cdump)
at address 0x75.  So, to dump a chip on bus 3; i2cdump 3 0x75 b).