[mythtv-users] Switch to DVB-T from PVR350 - Cant play nuv files in Windows Media Player

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed May 11 16:43:28 UTC 2005

On 5/11/05, MyTV <mytv at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've been using MythTV with a PVR350 (FC1) for quite some time now
> (without any issues:) ..  but at the weekend my hard disk failed, so I
> thought now would be an ideal time to put in a new disk, upgrade to FC3
> and install a Nova DVB-T card.  I have now rebuilt the box and got every
> thing up and running, but when I try to watch the nuv files in windows
> media player I just get the following error "file format is not
> supported" whereas the PVR files played fine.
>
> I've searched the archives and get the impression that DVB-T files are
> just MPEG-2 files?
>
> A File command on the DVB-T nuv files gives me the following:  MPEG sequence
> the same command on a PVR350 nuv files shows: MPEG sequence, v2, program
> multiplex.
>
> Just looking for confirmation that these files should play without being
> transcoded into something else...

As long as you have an appropriate MPEG2 decoder (i.e. from a DVD
player program) you should not have a problem playing DVB files. I
have seem similar reports of problems with Windows Media Player - I'd
suggest using a different media player - I successfully use Media
Player Classic - or trying to open the file in your DVD playback
software - I use PowerDVD for this, again with no problems.

It may be the difference between TS and PS fDVB files that is causing
WMP to reject them.

HTH,
Nick