[mythtv-users] Broadcast flag (tell me why myth users should care technically?)

Joe Barnhart joebarnhart at yahoo.com
Sun May 8 17:19:03 UTC 2005

--- Endaf Jones <jonese at zener.com> wrote:
> Why does the flag matter to us myth users ? (in terms of hardware
> selection)

Very simply: If the Broadcast flag becomes law, all ATSC recording
devices with Linux drivers will no longer be sold.  Your hardware
selection will GO AWAY.  That's why it is important, even to Canadians.
 Yes, technically, some savvy Canadian company could start creating and
shipping Linux ATSC cards, but they could not be sold in the U.S.
Without a major market, it would be prohibitive to develop the ICs and
card (remember, the current IC makers are U.S. based and would have to
honor the ruling.)

Of course, any ATSC recording hardware acquired NOW will never be
limited by the Broadcast flag -- they are "grandfathered" under the
Broadcast flag ruling.  Which is why there's been such a run on cards
in the U.S.

The Broadcast flag provision that was just struck down was a "ruling"
by our FCC, which is just an executive department and lacked the
authority to create new law.  The issue will now be brought to Congress
where the MPAA will have to spread large amounts of money to buy enough
"access" (i.e. votes) to pass their law. (I admit to being just a tiny
bit cynical when it comes to copyright issues and our legislative
bodies.)