[mythtv-users] Broadcast flag (tell me why myth users should care technically?)

Endaf Jones jonese at zener.com
Sun May 8 21:02:11 UTC 2005

Thank you Joe for your comments.

>Very simply: If the Broadcast flag becomes law, all ATSC recording
>devices with Linux drivers will no longer be sold.  Your hardware
>selection will GO AWAY.  That's why it is important, even to Canadians.

However (and I'm not trying to be argumentative, but rather stir the pot
in order to make the readers think about what is truly happening),

The point I'm trying to say here is that, irregardless if our ATSC/DVB
PCI card vendors honor the BF (Broadcast Flag) or not, does it really
matter?  What would be the tangible difference it bit streams coming out
of the cards?  Are they not simply passing the stream down to the OS and
isn't it the OS (or perhaps the player) that needs to honor/control the
BF legislation requirements instead?

Is there a whole other aspect of the BF concept that isn't being talked
about?  Is the problem really going to be the application (storage and
playback as in "MythTV") that needs to be BF compliant and not the hardware?

# Endaf