[mythtv-users] Fw: LIRC is killing me!!!

Todd Bowman tbowman75 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 30 16:13:01 UTC 2005

J. Scott wrote:

>  I am pulling my hair out over lirc! This is my third mythTV install-
> you'd think I'd have it down by now, but for some reason I can't get
> it working. I've googled everything I can think of, but couldn't find
> my answer.
>
> My system:
> Athlon 2500+
> Biostar nvidia based mobo
> 256mb ram
> 160gb hard drive
> Onboard audio and video
> Fedora Core 3
> MythTV Suite 0.17
>
> X10 mp3anywhere RF remote- receiver plugs into serial port and is
> supported by lirc.
>
> My system crashed a week ago when I rebooted it without shutting down.
> I figured this was a good a time as any to do a fresh install and
> upgrade to FC3 from FC1. I formated the hard drive and did a totally
> clean install. None of my hardware has changed, and was working
> perfectly under mythTV 0.16 and FC1.
>
> I have followed Jarod's install guide to the letter, but I can't get
> past the LIRC setup. I downloaded and installed the packages via
> apt-get, and lircd seems to be running fine. When I run IRW or mode2,
> I don't get any output, though. The programs run fine, waiting at a
> blank prompt until I hit ^c, but there is no response from the remote.
> I have several of these remotes and have tried all of them with fresh
> batteries, but no output.
>
> I've attached all the information I can think of that might be
> helpful, including the directory of my /dev folder, my modprobe.conf
> file, and output from lsmod and dmesg. If there is anything else that
> might be helpful, let me know.
>
> I'm a relative linux newbie, but have a good many hours under my belt
> doing these mythTV installs. If anyone has any tips for me, I would
> sincerely appreciate them!!!

This sounds like what happened to me.  I was trying to use the Sigma
Designs remote that came with my MPEG2 decoder card.  I don't use the
card any more but it has a nice remote that plugs into the serial port.
What I found out is that my remote doesn't need the lirc_serial driver.
I took all of the lirc entries out of my modprobe.conf.  Then I edited
the /etc/init.d/lircd file so that lircd ran with the
"--driver=pixelview --device=/dev/ttyS0" options instead of
$LIRCD_OPTIONS because I didn't know where $LIRCD_OPTIONS got set.  I
expect your remote would use a different driver and if it were plugged
into COM2 you would use /dev/ttyS1.  I guess the lirc_serial driver is
mainly for homebrew recievers.