[mythtv-users] Webcam recommendation for MythPhone

Paul Volkaerts paul.volkaerts at lineone.net
Tue Mar 29 21:49:29 UTC 2005

> Do any of you have any recommendations for a cheap webcam with
> built-in microphone and -- I'm not sure if it exists -- auto-focus?

I use a Logitech though support has been ceased, it still works.

> Also, I'm planning to use this to connect my wife with her relatives
> to help cutting down on long distance charges. The relatives in
> question are all under the dominion of Winblows; some under 98 and
> some under XP. So, I'd be interested to know what software your peers
> are (successfully :) using.
>
> I understand that only Windows Messenger (not MSN Messenger) can be
> configured to connect to SIP services. Other softphone solution
> appears to be a bit sparse. I've hears of eyebeam from xten…

Yes Windows Messenger works, but its display is postage-stamp sized. I have a port of MythPhone as a standalone Windows app so I can get full-screen video on a PC; it is "coming along nicely" but my time on it has been limited lately. At some point I may make it available but QT licensing is not as "free" for Windows so I have to make sure I am not violating any laws.