[mythtv-users] Webcam recommendation for MythPhone

cythraul cythrault at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 07:14:38 UTC 2005

Hi,

I just started playing around with MythPhone. I have to say it's a
GREAT plug-in. :)

I pulled my old D-Link C100 from under a layer of dust and did some
tests. Unfortunately, this piece of hardware belongs in a museum.

Giving the massive amount of webcams available versus their support
under Linux I found myself a bit lost to select one.

Do any of you have any recommendations for a cheap webcam with
built-in microphone and -- I'm not sure if it exists -- auto-focus?

Also, I'm planning to use this to connect my wife with her relatives
to help cutting down on long distance charges. The relatives in
question are all under the dominion of Winblows; some under 98 and
some under XP. So, I'd be interested to know what software your peers
are (successfully :) using.

I understand that only Windows Messenger (not MSN Messenger) can be
configured to connect to SIP services. Other softphone solution
appears to be a bit sparse. I've hears of eyebeam from xten…

Thanks!
cyth