[mythtv-users] cards with dual input?

Tu Holmes tu_holmes at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 21 20:24:26 UTC 2005

--- Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
> On Monday 21 March 2005 10:50, Tu Holmes wrote:
> > Jarod, I know you have one of the PVR-500s, is
> there a
> > way to tell a "tuner" on the PVR to accept the
> input
> > from the AV connections?
>
> Uh... What? A tuner is a tuner is a tuner, only
> accepts coax hooked to the
> coax tuner connector... I think you may mean "is
> there a way to tell the
> encoder on the PVR-500 to accept the input from the
> AV connections?". And
> yes, you can do that.
>
> > I just ordered one of these (The PVR-500) and am
> > waiting for it to arrive, and now am questioning
> my
> > purchase... Here's why.
> >
> > I have DirecTV, and will need to take both outputs
> > from the DirecTV box and put it to the 2 Tuners in
> the
> > PVR 500.
>
> Er, can your DirecTV box output two distinct
> full-screen programs on different
> outputs at once?

No, I meant 2 DirecTV boxes... Sorry.

If I'd have said what I meant, I could have avoided a
lot of confusion.

> > Now, I can either buy one of these an run the A/V
> > stuff from each DirecTV box to the corresponding
> A/V
> > portions on the PVR-500, OR I can run a channel 3
> from
> > one box, and a channel 4 from another box and run
> that
> > through a splitter (at least that's my theory),
> and
> > then tune one tuner to channel 3 and another to
> > channel 4.
>
> Okay, maybe you were after a second coax tuner
> input? There's only one TV
> tuner input on these cards, the signal gets split to
> the actual dual tuners
> internally. You could do one on SVideo and one on
> coax with the card as
> shipped though, no extra piece from Hauppauge
> required. But again, that's
> assuming your DirecTV box can actually output two
> distinct programs at
> once...

No, I would buy the hookup, and run 2 DirecTV boxes.

(Although, My DirecTiVo does have 2 Tuners and 2
outputs, but I would think that the other 2 DirecTV
boxes I have would be better at this point in time.)

Again, sorry for my creating confusion.

> > I would think the video quality would be better
> > running through the SVIDEO.
>
> Yes.
>
> > Would the sound be that much better?
>
> In theory.
>
> > Is there anyway to get the digital audio out of a
> > DirecTV receiver to go to the PVR500 and have it
> > encode it to the MPEG-2 stream?
>
> The only audio paths into these cards are either
> though the coax connection or
> a stereo audio input, so I don't think so.
>
> > I mean, If a movie has
> > 5.1 in it, can I hear it as 5.1? If it's not
> encoded
> > that way, then I'm sure the frontend can't play
> it.
>
> I'd have to guess you're not going to get 5.1
> encoded audio, so no.
>
> > What do you guys think about that?
>
> I think you'd better verify that a single DirecTV
> box can output two different
> full-screen programs on different outputs at once...
>
> > If I have to just listen to it in stereo, then I
> guess
> > that's ok too... I'm really only worried about 5.1
> > when watching a DVD or something like that.
>
> I'm rather partial to the 5.1 sound in all the HDTV
> programming I record. :-)

Is there a card that does 5.1 in?

> --
> Jarod Wilson