[mythtv-users] anyone using matrox g200-TV card?

Mark J. Small msmall at eastlink.ca
Sat Mar 19 12:49:01 UTC 2005

On March 19, 2005 03:18 am, Ricardo Kleemann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to find the specs for this card. Is it both a graphics card +
> capture card?   IOW, I can use this card and take care of both the VGA (or
> TV-out) as well as video input?
>
> The info I got seems to imply that it has TV-out, is that correct? Is the
> TV-out composite, or is it S-vhs?
>
> The PVR database at
> http://pvrhw.goldfish.org/tiki-page.php?pageName=pvrhw_tuners mentions it
> has both S-vhs and composite inputs, but I was wondering if it also has TV
> output?
>
> The card has hardware MJPEG compression; is this something useful for
> mythtv (since it is not MPEG2 compression, is MJPEG just as good and useful
> for mythtv?)
>
> Thanks for any help
> Ricardo

I used a G400 + Rainbow Runner G for a while in my myth box.  It has the same
TV chips as the G200TV.  It was not a pleasant experience.  The biggest
problems were that MJPEG is an absolute hard drive pig, and the hardware
decode didn't work for me with mythtv.  Software decoding of mjpeg was too
much for my Athlon 2000+.  So I had to transcode before I could watch
anything.

Mark