[mythtv-users] PVR-350 TV out problem

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon Mar 14 20:03:54 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-14 at 12:23, Rei Toi wrote:
> Noob chiming in here...
>
> I had a similar issue, about 40 or so horizontal lines were being
> displayed as I went through the modprobe tests.
>
> (BTW, thanks Jarod!  Your guide was a tremendous help to me...)
>
> This part from the guide worked for me:
>
> "If you got video, but there were like 20 to 50 evenly spaced horizontal
> lines overlaying it, try tweaking the ivtv-fb driver with this command:
>
> /usr/bin/ivtvfbctl /dev/fb1 -alpha -on -globalalpha -nolocalalpha
>
> Then run the dd test again, and with luck, the picture will look like it
> should."
>
> Obviously, you should change fb1 to whatever frame buffer your card
> grabbed...

Thanks.  I missed expanding Jarod's How To, so missed that section the
first few times.  :)

That command did clear the lines from the TV display.

I was subsequently able to get X running out the PVR-350 output.

However, the playback quality is not very good.  The picture is over
scanning the display some on each edge (cuts off the AM/PM indicator
when the time is displayed etc.)

During play back the frame rate does not appear to be fast enough to
prevent it from appearing a little jerky.  And there are times that the
picture will freeze briefly during playback.

The dd testing had a picture that looked fairly good, not what I would
call full quality but better than the result described above.

I also was surprised that the sound continued to come out the PC audio
ports instead of over the PVR-350 ports.

I will check the guide again to see if I missed expanding another
section.  :)

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Let's organize this thing and take all the fun out of it.