[mythtv-users] Is mythTV ready for prime time?

Craig Partin cpartin at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 01:18:32 UTC 2005

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 18:07:19 -0700, Justin Gombos
<mindfuq at fairfieldi.com> wrote:
> After fighting with database issues on Suse 9.1, I switched to
> KnoppMyth, which supposedly auto-installs all the prereqs and sets up
> the database.  Yet it "cannot connect to the master backend
> database."
>
> I'm throwing in the towel.  Looking at the archives of this list, it
> appears that this tool is still packed with gotchas, one complication
> after another.  Does anyone else share the same thoughts, or am I just
> having unusual difficulties?

I and many others on this list have a perfectly stable and functional
myth system.  This is by far one of the coolest pieces of software I
have ever used.  It is the "killer-app" that caused me to recently
spend over $500 on new hardware.  My myth box is nicer than my regular
desktop machine.

That being said, it is not easy to set up.  Its not like a win32
program that you can just install and start using.  It takes time and
effort to get myth setup.  You have to learn about linux and how to
make linux do audio and video.

Trust me though, the effort is so worth it.  I've used a lot of
related consumer products and myth blows them out of the water.

Just use google, this list, and your brain and you too can have a kick
ass myth box.