[mythtv-users] DPMS and televisions; some useful ideas and a question

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Tue Mar 8 19:07:16 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 12:01 -0700, Shawn Willden wrote:

> I responded privately to this in some detail.  Publicly I'll just say
> that while this suggestion is good in theory, and certainly something we
> attempt to do, anyone who has raised a few children understands that
> teaching them responsibility is a long, arduous process, and that
> they'll fail at it innumerable times along the way.

You don't need to tell me and my children that.  :-)  But you have to
attempt at every possible chance.  Consistency is the secret.  Teaching
them responsibility only some of the time only confuses them.

> I prefer not to have my new TV a casualty of their failures,

Fair enough, but it's also inconsistent to let them fall back on "well
it will turn itself off in a few minutes".

b.