[mythtv-users] DPMS and televisions; some useful ideas and a question

Shawn Willden shawn-myth at willden.org
Tue Mar 8 19:01:20 UTC 2005

Brian J. Murrell wrote:

>How about teaching the kids some responsibility to your television, the
>environment and their future and turn the thing off when they are done
>with it?

I responded privately to this in some detail.  Publicly I'll just say
that while this suggestion is good in theory, and certainly something we
attempt to do, anyone who has raised a few children understands that
teaching them responsibility is a long, arduous process, and that
they'll fail at it innumerable times along the way.

I prefer not to have my new TV a casualty of their failures, so anything
I can do to provide an automated safety net with minimal effort is
worthwhile.  There are plenty of other contexts for teaching responsibility.

    Shawn.