[mythtv-users] MythDVD/Xine Focus Problems - Solved

Gordon Rimac gordon.rimac at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 04:53:42 UTC 2005

Hi,

I've had a nagging problem since I rebuilt my front ends going from
.16 to .17.  I didn't see anything in any previous posts relating to
this, so I just wanted to put this out here to help the next guy
because I wasted entirely way too much time on it..

I am running Myth .17 under Debian Sid (this also occurred with .17
under FC3).  I did not have this issue with my old front end running
.16 under Debian Sarge.  I duplicated this problem under blackbox,
fluxbox, gnome and KDE.  After Xine exits, focus would not be returned
to mythfrontend which would result in the remote not being able to
control the program guide and the exit menu.  Mplayer does not have
this same behavior and would return focus to mythfrontend after
exiting.

I found the following bug report on Xine's site:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=10430782

basically confirming the issue that Xine does not return focus to the
window of the program that started it.

There is a workaround listed in that thread that solves the issue.
You need to download the xine-ui source and comment out lines 1814 to
1819 in event.c to fix the problem.  If you choose to compile by hand,
make sure you add a --enable-lirc when you configure as it did not get
enabled by default for me.

I hope this saves someone some time.

-Gordon