[mythtv-users] Re: Strange playback problems - no commercial skipping, random jumps

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Jul 23 12:35:39 EDT 2005

Ramzy Darwish wrote:

>  Kevin wrote:
 >
> > Ramzy Darwish wrote:
> >
> >> Hello All, I tried looking for others with this problem on the
> >> list, but didn't see anything, but maybe I didn't use the right
> >> keywords, so please don't flame me if this is a common problem.
> >>
> > <snip>
> >
> > Try checking your database tables for errors. You may have errors
> > in your recordedmarkup table which could cause things like this to
> > happen.
> >
>  Thanks a lot for this suggestion. But alas, it did not work.
>  mysqlcheck did indeed find errors in the tables, and I found and used
>  a script that I found here:
>  http://forevermore.net/files/mythtv_misc/optimize_mythdb.pl.txt (from
>  a different post found after searching for 'table corrupt'. The
>  script just runs REPAIR andOPTIMIZE on each table in mythconverg.
>
>  It does report that stuff has been changed, but the behavior remains
>  the same. I don't know if I did something wrong, or not enough.

So you've fixed the source of the problem, now fix the problems that
occurred when you had corrupted tables...  You need to run mythcommflag
to rebuild seektables and to re-flag commercials.  While your database
tables were corrupted, any data Myth wrote to those tables while
recording was most likely corrupted, so you need to recreate it.

For the simple (but long) way, you can run "mythcommflag -all" (it may
take several days--while max'ing out your CPU--to finish).  For a more
"surgical" fix, only flag the broken recordings.  See "mythcommflag
--help" for info.

Mike