[mythtv-users] MPEG2->MPEG2 cut spinning

Dave Caplinger dent at cox.net
Mon Jan 31 22:56:57 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 18:06 +0000, Steve Christall wrote:
> Finding the AV Offset to use with lvemux: -21
> Finding framerate: 25.000
> Last Frame -319508
> Indexing the file with avidemux2
> Cutting out commercials with avidemux2
>
> It just sits here spinning .. I have left it for 12 hours ...
>  3334 mythtv    39  19 39920  10m  18m R 99.2  1.0   1156:35 avidemux2

I've had very similar problems and found that something strange was
going on with the Xvfb mode.  I took out the redirection of output
to /dev/null on the avidemux2 calls within mpeg2cut and found that it
was crashing.  (I'm not sure I get why the crash doesn't just kill
avidemux2 and let the mpeg2cut script try to continue anyway... it
shouldn't just *hang* there forever!)  Here's an excerpt from the crash
I get:

#0  0x02750602 in g_on_error_stack_trace ()
from /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
#1  0x0808cf54 in sig_segfault_handler ()
#2  <signal handler called>
#3  0x006b251c in gdk_rgb_init () from /usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0
#4  0x006b268f in gdk_rgb_find_color ()
from /usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0

In my case it was doing this on the first call, which is when it is
doing the "Indexing the file with avidemux2".  So I had the script echo
out the avidemux and lvemux command lines, and ran them by hand instead
-- the gui for avidemux2 popped up, did it's work, and closed as
intended.  Then the same thing happened for the second avidemux2 call,
so I "solved" the problem the same way and ran the command by hand with
similar (working) results.

I haven't figured out what's going wrong with Xvfb on my system; I'm
still working on that.  (Yes, I have it installed and have tested it
with xclock; of course I can't see the invisible xclock window but at
least it doesn't crash or otherwise error out when I run it.)

In any case, my resulting cut MPEG2 files (originated by a PVR-350) have
audio sync issues that become really noticable about 75% through, and
there are blocky video glitches at one or two of the cutpoints.  So it
seems I'm still quite a ways off from a workable solution to having
commercial-cut MPEG2 that I can burn to DVD. :-(

--
Dave Caplinger