[mythtv-users] HOWTO: .nuv->.avi else *without* the database?

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Mon Jan 31 11:42:36 EST 2005

>     Here's a situation that only I could get myself info.  I formerly
> exported PVR-250 captures manually (copy MPEG2 .nuv elsewhere, then
> delete from database).  Recently, I've been using the NUV&SQL portion of
> nuvexport to do the same, but a little cleaner.  For less important
> shows, I wanted to use XViD codec and cut commercials via the
> mythfrontend.  That part works fine... much reduced filesize from the
> MPEG2->XViD transcode from within the MythTV GUI.

Myth uses DivX, not Xvid.

>     Now, I was going to burn the captures onto a disc to play them on a
> computer, but I discovered that MPlayer can't play them.  I've always
> considered MPlayer capable of playing *anything*.  Of course Winders
> can't play them either.

You can play them in windows if you grab the dsmyth filters.

>     Apparently, using mythtranscode or nuvexport->AVI directly is the
> correct way to do this.  Without inserting all this crap back in the
> database so these two programs function, can I manually re-wrap the .nuv
> into an .avi?  I don't want to transcode, just remux into a "normal"
> video container (with the XViD-codec).

I don't think that mythtranscode will work without access to the db or
the backend.  However, take a look at Beirdo's nuv2avi:

http://mythtv.beirdo.ca/nuvtools/nuv2avi.php

It's not perfect, due to some of the problems in the avi container
(meaning, sometimes you'll get sync issues), but it does just rewrap the
nuv into an avi container.

-Chris