[mythtv-users] New MythTV System help

Computer Operator rchaney at kc.rr.com
Sun Jan 30 15:43:29 EST 2005

To all the experts out there.

My goal is to have a PVR to record OTA ATSC/NTSC and Firewire from a
Cable STB.  Would like ability to record 2/watch 1 w/pause-rewind etc.
(mostly ATSC) with plans to have enough disk space to save things until
BlueRay/????? is available for archive.

I had not done enough research, when I started, and planned to do it all
with XP and MCE 2005 w/ATI tuners.  Well, that's not going to happen so
I've spent the last month reading forums, looking for software to do it.
  I looked a SAGE, the MDP-120/130 software etc.  The only thing I've
found that even has a chance of doing all of this is "MythTV".  I have
limited experience with Linux so that concerns me, a little, but my main
concern is: will my system support the (software encode/decode)of 2ea
HD-3000s and a PVR-250/350.

The equipment I bought is as follows:

Intel D915PBL 800 FSB motherboard
P4 550 3.4g CPU
1024m DDR2/533 memory
eVGA eGeFORCE 6600 Video (PCIe x16)
300g SATA HD - to start (room for 3 more drives)
Audio is on-board Intel "High Def." (7.1 I think)
Plextor PX-716A double layer cd/dvd
Mandrake 10.1
Antec Overture case
(Haven't bought the tuners yet)

Everyone seems to be happy with the pcHDTV tuners and the PVR-250/350's
but I'm concerned with the heavy CPU workload of the HD-3000's in a
possible situation of 2 HDTV recording sessions while watching a
recorded HDTV program.  Is there any chance the MDP-120/130s, with
hardware encode/decode, are supported by MythTV? Also, does MythTV
support Firewire?  Do I have a better choice of tuners?

Well, that's probably more than anyone wants to digest at one time.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Richard