[mythtv-users] PVR 350 Audio Issues

Will Otte wotte at dre.vanderbilt.edu
Tue Jan 25 19:43:48 EST 2005

Hi folks -

I am having trouble getting my PVR 350 to capture/output sound.  I have
been struggling with this for a couple days now, and my constant
google/list searches have yielded no joy (nor did my post to the IVTV
devel list).

I have been following Jarod's excellent guide to get this set up on a
FC3 box.

I know that the root of my problem is that I am not getting any sound on
my captures (a cat /dev/video0 > test.mpg, the test.mpg being played on
another computer).

Based on my searches, I have come up with the following common causes,
which I believe do not apply to me:

1.)  The card is muted.

Nope.

ioctl: VIDIOC_QUERYCTRL
Brightness = 127
Contrast = 63
Saturation = 63
Hue = 0
Volume = 58950
Mute = 0

2.) Wrong msp3400 module being loaded.

I removed the offending msp3400 module and replaced it with one from a
hand compiled IVTV .2 sources.

filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.10-1.741_FC3/extra/msp3400.ko
parm:           probe:List of adapter,address pairs to scan additionally
parm:           probe_range:List of adapter,start-addr,end-addr triples
to scan additionally
parm:           ignore:List of adapter,address pairs not to scan
parm:           ignore_range:List of adapter,start-addr,end-addr triples
not to scan
parm:           force:List of adapter,address pairs to boldly assume to
be present
author:         Gerd Knorr
license:        GPL
vermagic:       2.6.10-1.741_FC3 686 REGPARM 4KSTACKS gcc-3.4
depends:        i2c-core
srcversion:     E960148AF5BD27CA1F27860

and from my dmesg:

msp34xx: ivtv version
msp34xx: init: chip=MSP3448W-A2, has NICAM support, simple (D) mode,
simpler (G) no-thread mode
msp34xx: $Id$ compiled on: Jan 23 2005 17:38:19
ivtv: i2c attach [client=MSP3448W-A2,ok]

I also have the msp3400 module loading before the ivtv module (from my
modprobe.conf:

install ivtv /sbin/modprobe msp3400; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install
ivtv; /sbin/modprobe ivtv-fb

Does anyone have any other suggestions as to problems that I may be having?

thanks,
/-Will