[mythtv-users] 3 methods to attempt a kernel upgrade have all failed

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 21:16:03 EST 2005

I have been trying to upgrade my kernel as I couldn't find a source
code package for the version I have on ATRPMs (2.6.8-1.521) and I want
to recompile the kernel. Unfortunately they have all failed.

Method 1)
As per Jarod's guide I tried this:
# apt-get install kernel#2.6.10-1.9_FC2
# apt-get install {lirc,nvidia-graphics6111}-kmdl-2.6.10-1.9_FC2

But this gives me the following error:
file /dev/lirc from install of lirc-devices-0.7.0-1.rhfc2.at conflicts
with file from package
kernel-module-lirc-2.6.8-1.521-0.7.0-42.rhfc2.at
E: Error while running transaction

Method 2)
So then I tried something which Axel advised in an email:
# apt-get install nvidia-graphics6111-kmdl-`uname -r` nvidia-graphics6111
# nvidia-graphics-switch 6111

But this gives me errors after running nvidia-graphics-switch 6111:
   nvidia: Unknown symbol __VMALLOC_RESERVE
   nvidia: Unknown symbol pci_find_class

Also, on reboot X won't start up and I get this error in X.org.log:
   (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module!

And I get this error on startup also:
   FATAL: Module lirc_serial not found

Method 3)
# apt-get dist-upgrade

This ran through but didn't seem to download any upgraded kernel
packages. I had assumed that it would.

Has anyone completed the task of carrying out what should be a simple
kernel upgrade and if so, could they please exlain how they did it?

Thanks in advance,
Phill