[mythtv-users] Re: 3 methods to attempt a kernel upgrade have all failed

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at atrpms.net
Mon Jan 24 21:30:12 EST 2005

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 01:16:03PM +1100, Phill Edwards wrote:
> I have been trying to upgrade my kernel as I couldn't find a source
> code package for the version I have on ATRPMs (2.6.8-1.521) and I want
> to recompile the kernel. Unfortunately they have all failed.
>
> Method 1)
> As per Jarod's guide I tried this:
> # apt-get install kernel#2.6.10-1.9_FC2
> # apt-get install {lirc,nvidia-graphics6111}-kmdl-2.6.10-1.9_FC2
>
> But this gives me the following error:
> file /dev/lirc from install of lirc-devices-0.7.0-1.rhfc2.at conflicts
> with file from package
> kernel-module-lirc-2.6.8-1.521-0.7.0-42.rhfc2.at
> E: Error while running transaction

add kernel-module-lirc-2.6.8-1.521- as the first argument to the
install command above.

> Method 2)
> So then I tried something which Axel advised in an email:
> # apt-get install nvidia-graphics6111-kmdl-`uname -r` nvidia-graphics6111

uname -r takes the current running kernel, not the kernel you wnat to
upgrade to.

> # nvidia-graphics-switch 6111
>
> But this gives me errors after running nvidia-graphics-switch 6111:
>    nvidia: Unknown symbol __VMALLOC_RESERVE
>    nvidia: Unknown symbol pci_find_class
>
> Also, on reboot X won't start up and I get this error in X.org.log:
>    (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module!
>
> And I get this error on startup also:
>    FATAL: Module lirc_serial not found
>

> Method 3)
> # apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> This ran through but didn't seem to download any upgraded kernel
> packages. I had assumed that it would.

kernels are not upgraded by apt *upgrade, only by installs

> Has anyone completed the task of carrying out what should be a simple
> kernel upgrade and if so, could they please exlain how they did it?

apt-get install kernel

You get a list of candidates. Pick the one you want and install it
with

apt-get install kernel#<version>

Boot into the kernel (nvidia will not work). If you are happy with it
get the kernel modules you require with

apt-get install {foo,bar,baz}-kmdl-`uname -r`

The conflict with older lirc drivers is unfortunate, but cannot be
deal with otherwise, since kernel modules for different kernels cannot
(or better should not) obsolete each other.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net