[mythtv-users] DVI to Sony HS420 series HDTV

Paul Miller paul at pinheiro.dyndns.org
Sat Jan 22 17:13:56 EST 2005

On Saturday 22 January 2005 3:18 pm, Preston Crow wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 16:04, Paul Miller wrote:
> > I have a Sony KV-27HS420 HDTV and an ATI Radeon 9700 AIW Pro, and
> > I'm trying to configure X such that my display works with the
> > DVI/HDMI interface.  I used read-edid | parse-edid to obtain the
> > modeline settings below.  Mode 720x480 works well so long I don't
> > switch to different inputs on the TV.  If I do, the display
> > sometimes becomes partially corrupted.  Mode 1920x540 does not
> > work and it appears that the TV wants to horizontally squash the
> > image, even though it is solid black.  I'm not sure why the EDID
> > information says "1920x540" instead of "1920x1080".  I haven't
> > been able to find any 1080i modelines that work either.  The
> > display's native resolution is 1080i.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression is that EDID information
> is based on a spec that assumes a multisync monitor.  When
> connecting to a TV, it may be impossible for the TV to correctly
> specify the legal modes, as they are separate discrete modes, not a
> continuous range of modes.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EDID
>
> Yup, if I'm reading that correctly, EDID can't provide a list of
> video modes.

To me it looks like the horizontal resolution is provided with an
aspect ratio such that the vertical resolution can be determined for
each standard timing identification.  Anyhow, the EDID information
that I previously posted clearly came from my TV.  ATI's windows
driver recognizes it as a LCD, probably because of the DVI-D
interface.  I wonder if the mode is reported incorrectly because it
is an interlaced mode.  Perhaps I can just double all the vertical
settings to obtain 1080i.  hmm...

-Paul