[mythtv-users] DVI to Sony HS420 series HDTV

Preston Crow pc-mythtv04 at crowcastle.net
Sat Jan 22 16:18:59 EST 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 16:04, Paul Miller wrote:
> I have a Sony KV-27HS420 HDTV and an ATI Radeon 9700 AIW Pro, and I'm
> trying to configure X such that my display works with the DVI/HDMI
> interface.  I used read-edid | parse-edid to obtain the modeline
> settings below.  Mode 720x480 works well so long I don't switch to
> different inputs on the TV.  If I do, the display sometimes becomes
> partially corrupted.  Mode 1920x540 does not work and it appears that
> the TV wants to horizontally squash the image, even though it is
> solid black.  I'm not sure why the EDID information says "1920x540"
> instead of "1920x1080".  I haven't been able to find any 1080i
> modelines that work either.  The display's native resolution is
> 1080i.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression is that EDID information is
based on a spec that assumes a multisync monitor.  When connecting to a
TV, it may be impossible for the TV to correctly specify the legal
modes, as they are separate discrete modes, not a continuous range of
modes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EDID

Yup, if I'm reading that correctly, EDID can't provide a list of video
modes.

--PC