[mythtv-users] Re: New Mac Mini

David Levine curiouskangaroo at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 14:08:46 EST 2005

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 12:16:14 -0600, John Thomas <jwt9478 at gmail.com> wrote:

> When I first read about the Mac mini, I was not convinced that it was
> something that I could use to benefit my MythTV system at home.  I've
> read the thread and it has been discussed that the Mini is not the
> most powerful system out there.  True, it is a sexy looking device,
> but I can't find the justification for paying that much money for
> something that looks cool and will have limited functionality for my
> purposes.
>
> I can see where a Mini-ITX Shuttle 64-bit system can blow this this
> thing out of the water when it comes to purely hardware specs.  Plus
> it's less than half the price.  Here's an example:
> http://techbargains.pricegrabber.com/search_techspecs_full.php/masterid=3758934#description
>
> So if we are stricly talking about MythTV frontends, then maybe the
> Mac Mini is not the way to go.  Maybe people are justifying the +$500
> pricetag purely for the ability to have a system that integrates
> MythTV and the MacOS (including the cool software).  Is that the
> consensus here?
>
> I need some convincing. :-)

Well, I can't speak for the Mac Mini's suitability as a Myth frontend,
but I do want to ask if the comparison with the Shuttle you pointed
out is completely fair?  If I'm correct, that system doesn't come with
a CPU, memory, harddrive, or DVI connector.  Also, I don't know enough
to compare the video chipset with the Mac's ATI Radeon 9200.  Now, you
might be able to add these features for less than $300, but I suspect
not.  Of course, the Shuttle DOES have more exansion/upgrade options
than the Mini.

And if I misread that page and the Shuttle DOES come with all of that
for the $199 pricetag, I'd buy several tomorrow, so let me know! :)