[mythtv-users] TV recording filesystem frequently corrupt

Michael Knoll michael.knoll at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 18:41:13 EST 2005

I have a MythTV box with a Seagate 120gig drive with a ext3(with
journalling) filesystem on it I use only for recording live tv with
myth.

I've checked the drive a few times, and over the span of a couple
weeks, fsck reports various errors.  I have performed extended
S.M.A.R.T. tests with smartctl, the drive looks good.The machine isn't
being powered down inbetween these runs.

I have two other Seagate drives(120gig and 160gig) in the same machine
for storing the OS and video files, and these partitions always come
up clean.  Those drives also are ext3 filesystems.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this partition is plagued with
inconsistencies?  Could it be myth's fault?  It doesn't seem like any
user-land software bug could cause a filesystem inconsistence.  But
the drive looks good, and it's similar to the other rives.

Mike