[mythtv-users] DVD authoring procedures for archive <from What not to do ...>

Lane Schwartz dowobeha at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 13:09:16 EST 2005

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 12:31:51 -0600, John Williams
<williamsbyron at gmail.com> wrote:
> It looks like there are several different people doing this several
> different ways. I'm hoping to find a script or fairly simple means of
> transferring a PVR250 recorded (mpeg 2 I think) show to DVD. I'm not
> familiar with video editing and don't even care if commercials get
> left in the recording. When I tried to use NUV export it took nearly
> 12 hours to transcode and the file it created was useless anyway.
>
> What is every one doing for this sort of thing? Is dual layer DVD a
> good bet or is a single layer DVD fine?
>
> Thanks,
> John Williams

I posted this elsewhere, but here's the procedure that I use.
Basically, use nuvexport, but use the MPEG->MPEG option, not the DVD
option.

1. Mark your commercials in Myth

2. Use the MPEG2->MPEG2 option of nuvexport. For me, this step usually takes
about 5-10 mins on my computer for a 30 minute show. Might take even
less time for you. Certainly far far less than the 12 hours you're
currently experiencing for transcoding.

3. Prepare a video DVD iso using the mpg2 file exported from step 3. I
use DVDStyler. Another app is Q DVD Author.

4. Burn the iso to dvd. I use k3b for this.

HTH,
Lane

--
Meetup with other Myth users!