[mythtv-users] OT: 16:9 vs 4:3 signals

Robert Denier denier at umr.edu
Fri Jan 7 01:08:19 EST 2005

David Farber wrote:

>Sorry for the off-topic post, but I expect that someone on this list has the technical knowledge to answer this question.
>
>How is the aspect ratio of a video signal negotiated between two video devices?  For example, let's say I have a DVD player capable of 480p output.  Am I correct is assuming that I would get a larger, higher resolution picture if I plugged this dvd player into a 17-inch 16:9 480p-capable tv/monitor than if I plugged the same dvd player into a 17-inh 4:3 4800-capable tv-monitor?

Disclaimer:  I may be a little off here, but it should be basically correct.

First off 480 p describes the distinct number of lines in the image per
frame.  An ordinary TV signal has (from memory) 525 lines but only half
of them are drawn at a given time of which only 480 are visible.  This
may not be exactly true, but essentially the 240 even number lines are
drawn and then immediately after the 240 odd numbered lines are drawn.
Thus you get essentially 59.97 fields per second for plain ntsc video.

I don't recall off hand what the frame rate is for 480p, although at a
guess its probably 29.97 fps.  The difference here is all 480 lines are
drawn at once leading to a smoother less distorted image.

Now to get back to your original question.  First off your dvd player is
going to be playing some kind of mpeg 2 signal.  If it is formated such
that the output is true 16:9 widescreen, then yes you will definitely
get a better picture on the 16:9 monitor.  If on the other hand, as with
the majority of dvd's it is just sending out material thats 4:3 then
your not going to gain anything with the different display.

There are also dvd's that encode 16:9 aspect ratio material in 4:3
format on the dvd, thus yielding top and bottem bars.  This is not
sharper than a dvd recorded  in 4:3, but you do see the original
structure of the film rather than losing some of it in the pan and scan
process.

Afaik the dvd format is fixed at 720x480 resolution for NTSC, but I
could be wrong since I haven't kept up on the high end details.  I
believe some movies do some kind of anamorphic widescreen such that the
entire frame is digitalized into a 720x480 grid.  This allows one to use
the entire resolution available on a dvd to display the movie back in
its original (or close to it) aspect ratio on the widescreen monitor.

Would this kind of movie have more detail than an ordinary movie made
for a 4:3 monitor?  Nope, its just that the details are in different
places.  I think there is some kind of hdtv dvd standard coming out or
maybe its already out which would obviously make the widescreen monitor
more attractive and eliminate these problems.  Additionally there are
hdtv services available from direct tv and dish network that also do not
have these limitations.  There are also hdtv television services of the
broadcast networks in some areas.

Basically the conclusions are
1) 480p is just the format it is presented.  Yes this is preferable, and
yes if both monitors support it, you will get similar quality.  If one
monitor only supports 480i then the other will look better, but only on
material that actually is 480p.
2) Beyond that you want to match the monitor to the aspect ratio of the
source material, when possible.

Note that I don't keep up on a lot of the high tech toys I can't afford
so my info may be a bit out of date.

>Can the dvd player detect the presence of a 16:9 tv versus a 4:3 tv?  Or is the 16:9 tv set scaing the 4:3 picture?

Well if there was any detection it would probably be the tv that was
doing it.  I'm not sure since I don't own one.

-Robert Denier