[mythtv-users] Tearing in playback

Mark Wormgoor mark at wormgoor.com
Thu Jan 6 05:28:38 EST 2005

Hi,

>>>    I'm using a DVB-T capture card - MPEG2 input.  I'm using a
>>> VGA->SCART
>>> adaptor cable to display the video.  (I've finally managed to get Xv to
>>> work with interlaced output so this is running at reasonable speed
>>> now.)
>>>
>>>    I'm getting tearing of the image during playback.  Myth should be
>>> syncing the frame update to occur during the vertical refresh, right?
>>> Does anyone know how this is supposed to happen, and how I figure out
>>> why it isn't happening?
>>
>> I finally gave up on trying to solve this.  I enabled deinterlacing for
>> MythtTV, Xine and MPlayer and everything looks fine now, even though the
>> video is now deinterlaced and then interlaced again.
>
> I don't what the solution is, but I have a similar setup and see a
> similar effect. It seems to vary though, presumably depending on how
> good the sync is to the vertical refresh is at the time.
>
> What sync method are you using? I'm on RTC because the ATrpms build
> of 0.16 seems to have OpenGL sync turned off and when I rebuilt with
> it on something chewed so much CPU that playback kept breaking up.

I use the same rpm as you (ATRPMS FC2 0.16), so my bet is RTC.  But where
do you configure the  type of video sync used.  Or is that a build option?
I do not have an OpenGL enabled driver (Xorg Radeon), so I can't use that.

But the problem is not limited to MythTV. I had the same problem playing
DVD's in Xine.

Kind regards,

Mark