[mythtv-users] Soundblaster live and AC3 for MythDVD help

Neil Milne neil.milne at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 18:14:20 EST 2005

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 12:53:43 -0800, Gregg Farhat <3gemail at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have ver 1.0.7,  I will try the restore tomorrow night,  along with
> the change in the asoundrc.  My device is 0,3.  I will let you know
> how it goes.

I'm using an OEM SB Live with great success. I used the .asoundrc from
Jarod's guide, and set up xine to use AC3 passthrough for DVD playing
so I could get DTS and DD out from DVDs. Myth video/music with
non-multi-channel sound is streamed correctly to my amp as PCM.

You must use ALSA 1.0.7 or 1.0.5 or less - avoid 1.0.6 as this has a
bug which affects the spdif output for SB live cards. Note that this
means if you use a recent 2.6 kernel you will need to patch it, as
they have 1.0.6. I think 2.6.10 may have alsa 1.0.7 in it but I'm not
sure. It's the module version you need to make sure of, not the
tools/utils.

If you are building your kernel yourself the patch is a trivial 2 char
fix to a file - the details are in the bug tracking system on the alsa
website.

The other key thing is to get the mixer settings correct. If you can
get either DD/DTS passthrough or myth PCM sound working but not the
other drop me a line and I'll send you the asound.state file I have
for storing the mixer state - I've found if you mess that up you can
end up with a non-working card :-(

I take copies of all these config files once they are working just in
case... ;-)

--
Neil Milne