[mythtv-users] EPIA compile flags

Asher Schaffer freedenizen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 16:26:45 EST 2005

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 22:14:00 +0100, Patrick Wenger <info at wepcom.ch> wrote:
> > Just out of curiosity what optimization level are people using for
> > their EPIAs?  I'm using Os which does level 2, unless the size would
> > be dramiticly increased by the optimization.  I have read that because
> > of the small cache size of the C3s doing level 3 optimizations can
> > slow things down.  Is this true? or just BS?
> >

> The compile flags depend on the cpu you are using. Look at
> http://www3.sympatico.ca/howlettfamily/epia/epia_howto/index.html
>
> Patrick

Right, and on that page is says:
"Some experimenters suggest that code compiled using -Os (compile for
size) will run faster than -O3 (compile for speed) because the VIA
processors have very small cache and the smaller code will improve the
chances of cache hits. I haven't seen any numbers to confirm this -
maybe someone will try it and let me know if it is true."

I'm curious if anyone has tested this with myth