[mythtv-users] No audio on random recordings

Tim T. tim.timmerman at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 15:09:58 EST 2005

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 09:47:10 -0500, David Levine
<curiouskangaroo at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 21:04:53 -0600, Byron Williams
> <williamsbyron at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> > I recorded several back to back shows on the 1st (24 hr Monk Marathon). A
> > couple of the many episodes I recorded did not get sound. I have no idea
> > what would cause this, and it seems random because it skipped an episode. It
> > went something like 5 episodes with sound 1 w/o sound 1 w/ sound 1 w/o sound
> > and 4 with sound.
> >
> > Any suggestions? Being Monk I don't really care, but had it been one of the
> > shows I deem more important like Alias I'd have a stroke. So any suggestions
> > how to troubleshoot would be welcome.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Byron
>
> I had an issue when I first set up my system where a single channel
> (4) wasn't getting sound.  I assumed that the finetuning for that
> channel had to be "off" by a tiny amount... not enough to prevent me
> getting video, but just enough to prevent it from grabbing the audio
> correctly.  I used trial-and-error to find the correct finetune value
> for the channel (-4), and now I get sound.
>
> Now, granted, that was NOT a random dropping of sound, like you
> experienced.  It was consistent/all the time.  However, I've recently
> started to notice random dropping of sound on a different channel (7).
>  Mine seems a little rarer than yours (maybe once every other week).
> But I'm wondering if I need to finetune this channel as well... but
> not quite as much as the other channel (maybe only +/- 1).
>
> Just a thought.
Had the tuning error too, when I first set up my box.. that was easily fixed.

However.. I also had a problem with random channels not having sound, when
zapping.  I *think* I fixed it by adding
/usr/local/bin/ivtvctl -v input=2,output=1
to my ivtv setup script.

looks like an ivtv problem to me.
I'm currently using ivtv-0.2.0-rc3c, on a PVR350, Rev K 257 according to the
sticker.

Anybody else with the same problem ?

  TimT