[mythtv-users] No audio on random recordings

David Levine curiouskangaroo at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 09:47:10 EST 2005

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 21:04:53 -0600, Byron Williams
<williamsbyron at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> I recorded several back to back shows on the 1st (24 hr Monk Marathon). A
> couple of the many episodes I recorded did not get sound. I have no idea
> what would cause this, and it seems random because it skipped an episode. It
> went something like 5 episodes with sound 1 w/o sound 1 w/ sound 1 w/o sound
> and 4 with sound.
>
> Any suggestions? Being Monk I don't really care, but had it been one of the
> shows I deem more important like Alias I'd have a stroke. So any suggestions
> how to troubleshoot would be welcome.
>
> Thanks,
> Byron

I had an issue when I first set up my system where a single channel
(4) wasn't getting sound.  I assumed that the finetuning for that
channel had to be "off" by a tiny amount... not enough to prevent me
getting video, but just enough to prevent it from grabbing the audio
correctly.  I used trial-and-error to find the correct finetune value
for the channel (-4), and now I get sound.

Now, granted, that was NOT a random dropping of sound, like you
experienced.  It was consistent/all the time.  However, I've recently
started to notice random dropping of sound on a different channel (7).
 Mine seems a little rarer than yours (maybe once every other week).
But I'm wondering if I need to finetune this channel as well... but
not quite as much as the other channel (maybe only +/- 1).

Just a thought.

--David