[mythtv-users] Guide download problems

Paul Leppert phlepper at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 11:52:31 EST 2005

Okay, with some further testing, I have figured out that I don't have
a mythfilldatabase problem, but a 'wget under linux' problem.

By looking at the source for mythfilldatabase, I was able to narrow
the problem down to the wget timing out in the middle of downloading
the guide data. I did this by creating an input file similar to
mythfilldatabase (see attached).

I then use this command (my zap2it password was used (instead of 'password'))

wget --http-user=phlepper --http-passwd=password
--post-file=testzapinput.txt --header=Accept-Encoding:gzip
http://datadirect.webservices.zap2it.com/t...ngs/xtvdService
--output-document=- > foo.out

This downloads a gzip file of the xml file. I can also download the
xml file directly by removing the --header=Accept-Encoding:gzip
parameter.

On my mythtv linux box, this wget will timeout at various points, but
generally won't download more than about 50Kb of the 300+Kb total.

This machine is also dual-bootable to winxp. Using the WinXP version
of wget and running the same command, the download works fine (and
without the gzip option it will even download the 2.5+ Mb file without
problems).

To give a little background of my setup, on the linux side, I did a
clean install of FC3 and then followed Jarod's instructions for
setting up mythtv. I can surf the internet fine (using firefox) and
have downloaded multi-mb files without problem.

My internet connection is via satellite on a separate PC that is
attached to the network via a netgear firewall (it essentially looks
like a dsl modem to the firewall).

Based on the wget working fine from the same pc when booted to winxp,
I don't believe I have any problems with the firewall or internet
connection. But, being new to linux, maybe there is some setting that
needs to be done on the linux side to get this to work?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
phlepper
--
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.  --  Confucius