[mythtv-users] IVTV-FB error - should have left good enough alone

Mark Matula mmatula at ratula.net
Mon Feb 28 22:37:33 UTC 2005

I don't know if this will help you , but for .17 to work on my previously
working system (Debian unstable), I needed to upgrade ivtv.  I went with the
latest 0.2.x tarball (0.2.0 rc3g at the time) from here:
http://ivtv.writeme.ch/tiki-index.php?page=DownloadIvyTv
and followed these instructions:
http://ivtv.writeme.ch/tiki-view_faq.php?faqId=1#q11

Pay attention to this file: ./ivtv-0.2.0-rc3g/utils/README.X11 'install' the
x fb driver as instructed, and change the Driver line in your X config if
needed (was 'Driver "fbdev"' now 'Driver "ivtvdev"').

On difference, though is that here
(http://ivtv.writeme.ch/tiki-index.php?page=FirmwareVersions )ivtv folks say
to use the firmware from pvr48wdm_1.8.22037.exe.  With that firmware, my
recordings would occasionally stutter.  I changed to the suppoosedly buggy
firmware from pvr_1.18.21.22168_inf.zip, and all's well.  May it help you.

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, Hank VanZile wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> First of all, thank you all for this wonderful project and the support
> network surrounding it.  I've had my Myth box up and mostly up and
> running for about 6 months and it's been adopted into our regular
> routine by my wife.  That is until yesterday.
>
> I initially built the system using Jarod's guide.  Until yesterday I was
> running Myth 0.16 on Fedora Core 2 with kernel 2.6.8-1.521 and a
> PVR-350.  Most things were working just fine (even X out to the TV),
> though I would have front-end crashes at leasts once a week (caused, I
> believe, by IVTV).   Yesterday I upgraded my dedicated recordings hard
> drive and decided to do some tweaks (big mistake).
>
> First of all, I installed XFCE and made that my default Window Manager.
> Secondly, I used Synaptic to update MythTV to 0.17 and decided, while I
> was there, to upgrade IVTV as well, since I was experiencing the
> aforementioned crashes.  Everything went alright, but when I went back
> into Myth and watched a recording, the video (not audio) was stuttering
> pretty badly.  I noticed in Synaptic that there was another update to
> IVTV (as well as MythTV) and went for it.  It required a kernel update
> to 2.6.10, to which I agreed.  It got part way and then Synaptic
> crashed.  At that point, things started acting a little wonky - the
> backend didn't start up on launch, etc., so I decided to remove MythTV
> and IVTV entirely (using Synaptic) and start from scratch.
>
> I went back to Jarod's FC2 guide and installed MythSuite using apt-get
> with no problems whatsoever.  Then I went to follow the instructions for
> IVTV and there were no packages found for my kernel.  I looked for
> kernel upgrades on Axel's site, but couldn't find any for FC2.
>
> Okay, then, on to manual IVTV installation.  I downloaded CK100ZZ, since
> Jarod recommends it as the most stable version.  I did a "make install"
> on the "driver" directory and now I am getting a TON of ivtv-fb errors
> when I try to load it.
>
> I am totally at a loss.  I'm not very good with manually building and
> installing packages and I'm not sure I installed IVTV correctly.  I
> don't want to wipe the drive and start from scratch and I'm already
> going to have to pay the piper for missing out on recording "24" tonight. ;)
>
> Can anyone help guide me?  Thanks in advance.
>
> -Hank

Mark Matula
Mikey, you will be missed:
http://eblo.ratula.net/mikey.html