[mythtv-users] Re: Plextor PX-TV402U-NA

Justin Gombos mindfuq at fairfieldi.com
Mon Feb 28 18:21:46 UTC 2005

* Nathan Lutchansky <lutchann-mythtvusers at litech.org> [2005-02-28 10:45]:
> > Why does the Mac version exclude DivX?  It's disturbing to find
> > that Plextor would strip the DivX out of the Mac version, then
> > charge more for it.
>
> Are you referring to the fact that the EyeTV software bundle was
> sold with only MPEG1 and MPEG2 support?  MPEG4 was made available
> earlier this month with EyeTV 1.7.  The hardware sold in the PC and
> Mac bundles is exactly the same.

I think you just cleared that up.. I did not consider the case that
they would package it with software with reduced capability --
especially when they're charging more for it.  This reinforces the
meaning behind the term 'mac money'.

> Also, the TV402U has no audio encoder in hardware, so compressing
> the sound is done on the host CPU.

Are you sure?  The specs (which are vague) suggest that it does MP2
encoding.  I suppose that could be software doing the work.

Again, I'm surprized, because historically Plextor doesn't compromise
on quality like this.  Maybe they're starting to aim for a lower-end
consumer market.