[mythtv-users] Re: Plextor PX-TV402U-NA

Nathan Lutchansky lutchann-mythtvusers at litech.org
Mon Feb 28 15:16:48 UTC 2005

On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 11:04:04PM -0700, Justin Gombos wrote:
> Are there linux drivers to support both the audio and video?

Yes, both.  All the basic features of the hardware are supported.

> Why does the Mac version exclude DivX?  It's disturbing to find that
> Plextor would strip the DivX out of the Mac version, then charge more
> for it.

Are you referring to the fact that the EyeTV software bundle was sold with
only MPEG1 and MPEG2 support?  MPEG4 was made available earlier this month
with EyeTV 1.7.  The hardware sold in the PC and Mac bundles is exactly
the same.

> Requirements:  I noticed a P3-800 is required for the PX-TV402U-NA,
> while the PVR-350 merely requires a P2-600.  I'm guessing the ConvertX
> box has higher requirements because it does not have a decoder, and
> consequently the CPU will have to do the decoding work in the cases of
> watching while recording.

Something like that.  MPEG4 decoding certainly takes more work than
MPEG1/2.  Also, the TV402U has no audio encoder in hardware, so
compressing the sound is done on the host CPU.

> So the question is, suppose the Plextor box is used on a server only,
> and the client is a MediaMVP; would that type of usage lower the
> requirements of the Plextor server down to a P2-600?  Is the answer
> the same if the the machine is both a server and a client and the
> video card has a decoder chip?

If you asked Plextor this, they'd probably have a good answer.  I've never
played with the Windows software.  -Nathan