[mythtv-users] Need IR advice

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 28 19:47:41 UTC 2005

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but going
RC-5 and getting a programmable remote (like the
OneForAll series) is one of the easiest ways to go.
They have advanced key mapping capabilities which will
allow you to use almost every button on the remote
control, and the RC-5 receiver in the Hauppauge will
work with it.  (BTW, for RC-5 in my remote, I use VCR
code 0081, which works with the Hauppauge card - I
think that the VCR part is the key).

I don't use the Hauppauge receiver anymore myself (the
jack where it plugs into the card became loose), so
I'm using an irman again.  Using RC-5 with the irman
is also good, because it eliminated the conflicts with
my IR wireless keyboard.

You're probably using your universal remote control
setup as a device which uses the changes in code to
mean something specific to that device.

To summarize: If you're not attached to your
particular remote, get an OneForAll remote (or a
similar Radio Shack remote), and use the button
programming functions to assign extended RC-5 codes to
the extra buttons you wish to use.  It doesn't take
long (it only took me a couple of hours to setup), and
on my URC-6131 remote control, I can use every button
with MythTV, except for SET and the buttons that
select devices.

-- Joe