[mythtv-users] Found an Awesome Remote

Timothy McFadden mcfadden.timothy at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 15:00:02 UTC 2005

On 8/19/05, Marius Schrecker <masch at tiscali.no> wrote:
> Matt wrote:
> >On 8/18/05, Matt <skd5aner at gmail.com> wrote:
> > People are always dissing the price of the harmony remotes, but I know
> > tons of people who have them that I work with and I've never heard a
> > single complaint from an owner.
>
> I just bought a harmony 655 (figured a good remote was central to the system).
> I'm still in the learning phase here, but with my particular hardware (hi-fi
> appliances) the wizards don't work particularly well, Many of the buttons
> seem to be mapped wrong in the Logitech database, delay settings aren't
> flexible enough and the resultant logic from running the rather limited
> wizards just plain doesn't work (but then when do wizards give you the functionality
> you really want?). I'm trying to set it up now using my own button mappings
> and logic (having run various test activites to get input cycling working
> properly, etc). The idea is good, but it seems that the database is populated
> by all sorts of peoples half-successful attempts to get it working, and
> half-correct device naming (I found 3 different examples of my Klipsch preamp/decoder,
> none of which were correct). Another thing is that in order to get soft
> keys positioned as I want them in activities I have to cheat with some of
> the codes, which will further corrupt the database if my settings have an
> influence.
>
> Money-wise, if it works in the end, I think it's pretty good, costing less
> than twice as much as my cheapo learning remote, which was frankly a pain
> in the a@@.
>
> 70% marks to Logitech so far.
>

> Marius
> Registered Linux user

Ya, I had a bit of a painful experience with setting my system up as
well.  However, I expected as much from a Universal remote.  The minor
pain was well worth it in the end.

You can play with the delay settings a bit, which can be very useful.
Seems like all of the setups from the Harmony site are overly cautious
on what kind of delay your components need to operate.

The hardest part is figuring out where all the options are on the
Harmony website.

The only real problem I have is that the macros take a while to send (
2 - 3 seconds perhaps, for turning everything on ).  Sometimes my wife
will push a button and set the remote down and some of the commands
get blocked. At least the "Help" button brings the WAF back up.

-Tim