[mythtv-users] Found an Awesome Remote

Marius Schrecker masch at tiscali.no
Fri Aug 19 07:28:34 UTC 2005

Matt wrote:
>On 8/18/05, Matt <skd5aner at gmail.com> wrote:
> People are always dissing the price of the harmony remotes, but I know
> tons of people who have them that I work with and I've never heard a
> single complaint from an owner.

I just bought a harmony 655 (figured a good remote was central to the system).
I'm still in the learning phase here, but with my particular hardware (hi-fi
appliances) the wizards don't work particularly well, Many of the buttons
seem to be mapped wrong in the Logitech database, delay settings aren't
flexible enough and the resultant logic from running the rather limited
wizards just plain doesn't work (but then when do wizards give you the functionality
you really want?). I'm trying to set it up now using my own button mappings
and logic (having run various test activites to get input cycling working
properly, etc). The idea is good, but it seems that the database is populated
by all sorts of peoples half-successful attempts to get it working, and
half-correct device naming (I found 3 different examples of my Klipsch preamp/decoder,
none of which were correct). Another thing is that in order to get soft
keys positioned as I want them in activities I have to cheat with some of
the codes, which will further corrupt the database if my settings have an
influence.

Money-wise, if it works in the end, I think it's pretty good, costing less
than twice as much as my cheapo learning remote, which was frankly a pain
in the a@@.

70% marks to Logitech so far.

Marius
Registered Linux user